Saturday, February 22, 2014

Commute (Philadelphia)

My city.
Mine.

A first returning glimpse of Philly always triggers 
a small tickling of the happiness
known as contentment.

My evening commute transverses the river,
my crossing view that of bridge over bridge under trestle.
I ride along the sleepy banks of the Schuylkill
as stately white skinned sycamores
lean over the river to gaze at their own loveliness, mirrored in the escaping waters.

Sweet Briar reminds me
to pause and take notice.
I gaze those 300 Sweet feet
under an echoey overpass
connecting the Drive to Lansdowne and for a moment,
myself to my father.

The boat houses blink their snowy-eyed windows
as I smile at them from across the water,
now resplendent in reflection of the evening sky.

The sky, the sky!
It is the golden hour.
The sky is painted in Maxfield Parrish pinks and purples,
But it is the skyscrapers who are most magnificent
Ablush with the waning evening light.

I zoom past those autos parked on the on ramp for 95 North.
I am grateful to live in South Philly.
I am not leaving
the city to go home.
My home
is here
in my Philadelphia.

Triplet colonial spinster sisters have their heads huddled together,
no doubt gossiping about me as I motor past.
I'm glad they have hunkered down,
Growing old here,
Proud of their working-man roots.
Two young ostentatious bucks flank these sisters,
out of place but precisely tuned.

As I alight in Penn's Port,
I am greeted by my neighbors,
comrades in arms which we take up
In defense of this small town that calls itself
Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment