Saturday, January 18, 2014

Another First Day of School

I've always been a weirdo.  It's cool, I come by it honestly.  And really, all the interesting people are weirdos.

But man, I hated grade school (standing in a snowy field on the brightest day with a migraine and no sunglasses hatred - you'll live, but it'll be excruciating).  It's really hard to be a weirdo in grade school.

At the end of 4th grade, one of my best friends moved away.  At the end of 5th, I was miserable, and at the end of 6th, I was desperate to get out.  So, with the help of my parish, my parents agreed to let me go to a private school 7th (and 8th) grade.

I remember the first day of 7th grade.  I had my packed lunch and was filled with happy anticipation to meet all new people and make lots of friends.  I was sad for summer to end, but I was ready for a new experience.

I mean, I kinda already knew what it would be like (it was still school, afterall), but not entirely. Would I make a ton of friends?  Would they like me???  Would I be able to keep all my stuff somewhere?  Would there be any cute boys?  Would I like my teachers?  What if I was the dumbest in the class?

Starting a new job is kinda like starting the first day of a new school.

An aside...
I'm lucky enough to have found a position that meets almost all of my hopes (!), but first day jitters will still be first day jitters.

A bit about the position I'm starting...
     - A mission that dovetails with my own personal moral compass!
     - People that seem super interesting and open
     - A chance to really learn both a new skill-set AND from colleagues

Unfortunately, I can't walk to work, but in the future, I may be able to bike to work, and that'd be pretty great.

I remember my first day of 7th grade well.  The day started when I met a certain red-headed nemesis. Upon walking in, she was holding court and announced, "Oh, I was hoping you were going to be someone else." (it did not much improve from there.).

BUT, I also met a bunch of amazing, funny, weird 8th graders.

In the end, I was victor, as I was voted Student Council President, she was unable to steal away my best friend (as if !), AND two of those amazing 8th graders I'm still good friends with today and they continue to enrich my life.

I'm convinced my new job will have no nemeses and a slew of 8th graders.  I'm not sure if that's because the organization is small, if it's because they are community focused, or if it's the draw of non-profit (translation: you will never be rich from this job, so you must really believe in the mission), but whatever the reason - I'm once again going to pack a lunch and bring a heaping helping of happy anticipation on my first day.

...in the off-chance you are in grade school or middle school and reading this - hold on!  It gets better in high school and it's a million times better in college.  The misfits are the ones who make life interesting.  Everyone will realize this when they are older and wish that they were friends with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment